How to create auto-graded assessments
Assessments are an extremely helpful accompaniment to tutorial content.
- They allow a student or a teacher to assess how well they are grasping the subject matter
- Many assessment types are automatically graded, saving precious time for teachers and giving students instant feedback
- A wide range of assessment types (automatic code tests, multiple choice tests, fill in the blanks, drop-down selection, free text responses and project grading) allow the broadest possible measurement of a student’s progress
- In classroom scenarios, all assessment responses feed through to a teacher dashboard
- For multiple choice tests, fill in the blanks and drop-down selection assessement types, each individual assessment can only be answered once, giving a true reflection of understanding rather than being able to carry on answering until the correct answer is achieved
- When an answer is submitted, the correct answer is shown to the student
Each content author can choose to weave assessments into the tutorial materials or to create Units that are dedicated to assessments.
Authoring assessments is easily done using the Guides editor.
https://codio.com/codio-units/java-example is a project that you can fork into your own Codio account and shows you how to create code tests and setup automatic marking. We would also recommend that you check out our Guides Cheat Sheet and import into your Codio account to review. See here for more information on importing.
Adding a new assessment
To add a new assessment, you should first position the cursor in your content where you want it to appear. Then, from the assessments drop-down, select the type of assessment you wish to insert.
Editing an existing assessment
If you want to edit an existing assessment, you can choose either of the following options
- Press the Settings button in the Guides toolbar then select the Assessments tab. All assessments present in the current project are listed. You can then select the one you wish to edit.
- (coming soon) To edit an assessment present on the current page you are editing, select the assessment drop-down in the Guide toolbar. In the lower section of the list you can select any assessments located on the current page and edit it.
Deleting an assessment
To delete an assessment, press the Settings button in the Guides toolbar then select the Assessments tab. All assessments present in the current project are listed. You should press the red ‘x’ button to delete it.